Steps to Take When Dealing with Binge Eating Disorder
Binge eating disorder, a disorder characterized by an overwhelming desire to eat large amounts of food, can be a difficult problem to overcome. Some may need the assistance of an eating disorder treatment center. In fact, this disorder may be especially difficult due to the fact that food is a necessary part of life. Unlike those with drug problem or a smoking addiction, food cannot just be eliminated from one’s life. How then can you overcome this challenge associated with binge eating disorder? The following steps may help in coping with binge eating disorder:
- Tell someone. Even if only one person knows about your disorder, at least you will no longer be alone in your struggle.
- Seek out treatment and therapy. Enroll in an eating disorder treatment facility or attend therapy session. Be willing to learn and make yourself vulnerable.
- Carry limited amounts of food at home. Although this may be more of a hassle, it will limit temptations at home.
- Relax. Set aside time to enjoy life and take part in a fun activity.
- Forgive yourself. You can’t change the past, you can only learn from your mistakes.
- Exercise. Plan out an appropriate exercise program you will desire to maintain.
- Determine the causes and triggers of your disorder. By doing this you can then take steps to prevent further binges.
- Eat breakfast daily. Those who do not regularly eat breakfast are more prone to binging and eating high calorie meals later in the day.
- Share your concerns with friends and family. Never isolate yourself.
- Take adequate nutrients. If you do not consume enough nutrients for your body, consider taking vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Find self-help books. These books will encourage you and often offer helpful advice, especially if they are centered on binge eating.
- Attend a support group. Knowing that others struggle with the same problems may relieve stress.
- Talk with a nutritionist. He or she can help you set up an appropriate meal plan.
- Write in a journal. This may help especially when you have the urge to binge eat.
- Do not diet. Fad diets rarely help for long periods of time and very strict diet plans may only make your disorder worse.
- Love yourself for who you are, not what you look like.
Binge eating disorder is a type of eating disorder, one which often requires the help of an eating disorder treatment center for recovery. If you or a loved one struggles with binge eating would like to seek binge eating recovery, call one of the many eating disorder residential centers today for assistance. These eating disorder treatment clinics provide clients with an excellent staff, specialized programs, and a variety of therapy types. Overall, eating disorder treatment centers have been proven beneficial in treating recovery and preventing relapse.