Consequences of Pain
Pain can affect people in a number of different ways. Aspects of life which can be altered and changed as a result of pain include:
- Social interaction
- Emotional reactions
- Physical body
- Current job
- Psychological conditions
In order to prevent and reduce the effects of pain on these areas of life, management of pain through pain treatment is necessary. As a means of avoiding inadequate pain treatment, many will seek out pain rehab at a pain treatment center.
12 Ways to Manage Pain
- Exercise – This can help to increase overall strength and flexibility. Swimming and walking are two beneficial types of exercise which may decrease pain.
- Take medication – Specific types of doctor-recommended medication may be helpful in reducing pain. Non-aspirin pain relievers, anti-inflammatory drugs, anti-depressants, and opioid medications are among the drug types used.
- Use specialized equipment at home – For some people with chronic pain, simply walking around the house is a hassle. The use of assistive devices such as crutches, splints, and elevated toilet seats can help to alleviate many of the problems which arise due to pain, allowing individuals to be more mobile in their own home.
- Attend psychological therapy – Your doctor may recommend that you also attend therapy sessions to ease stress and prevent conditions like anxiety and depression, as these conditions are common among those with chronic pain.
- Sleep regularly – Sleeping an adequate amount every night can help to reduce depression, anxiety, and episodes of pain. Do not consume caffeine in the evening or take naps during the day if you are having trouble falling asleep.
- Use heating pads or ice packs– The use of ice packs and heating pads is often very effective in the temporary relief of pain.
- Consume healthy meals – Eating unhealthy foods may have a negative affect on the body and can create a number of problems in the organs. Consuming healthy foods helps to reduce physical health problems and may decrease the chance of pain. Also, keeping a balanced diet will help you to maintain a strong, healthy body.
- Participate in physical therapy – This pain treatment method is often very effective in providing people with a greater range of movement and relief of pain through specialized stretching and additional techniques.
- Undergo surgery – If a number of other treatment methods have been tested, surgery is often an option in providing pain recovery.
- Find a support system – This support system may consist of your family, a few close friends, or those from a pain support group who can directly relate to your problems. This support system is especially helpful in preventing depression, anxiety, and in improving general mental health.
- Stay away from smoking – Smoking increases one’s chance for a variety of painful conditions and may worsen an already present disorder.
- Practice relaxation techniques – These relaxation techniques can be very beneficial to those with pain and may include acupuncture and massage therapy types (such as trigger point massage therapy).
Additional treatments which may be helpful include skin creams, use of nerve blocks, stem cell transplants, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), and meditation. Many of the management tools listed are provided at pain treatment centers. If you or your loved one suffers from chronic pain, then you may want to consider pain treatment at a pain rehab facility.
Casa Palmera offers individual and group therapy sessions, acupuncture, bodywork therapy, art therapy and a variety of other programs as a part of our pain treatment process. Our skilled staff desires to provide our guests with both psychological and physical treatment as a part of the pain program here at this pain treatment center.