Depression is a devastating condition that affects close to 19 million people in the United States alone. A staggering two-thirds of these individuals never seek treatment for a variety of reasons. One reason that people fail to get treatment is that they don’t understand the signs and symptoms of depression. Failing to recognize these signs could have dangerous consequences, which is why we compiled a list of the top 10 signs that you or someone you know may be suffering from depression.
Top 10 Signs of Depression
Depression affects every person differently. Some people will experience a few symptoms, while others will experience many. The most common signs of depression are:
1. Persistent sadness, emptiness or anxiety.
2. Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism, guilt, worthlessness or helplessness.
3. Fatigue, decreased energy or feeling “slowed down.”
4. Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex.
5. Restlessness or irritability.
6. Difficulty concentrating, remembering or making decisions.
7. Sleep disturbances, such as insomnia, early-morning waking or oversleeping.
8. Eating and weight changes, such as appetite and weight loss or overeating and weight gain.
9. Thoughts of death or suicide, including actual suicide attempts.
10. Persistent physical symptoms that don’t respond to treatment, such as headaches, chronic pain and digestive disorders.
About 80% to 90% of people who seek treatment for depression feel better within two to three weeks. There are a variety of successful depression treatment options, including psychotherapy (“talk” therapy) and medications. There are also holistic treatments for depression like as yoga, acupuncture and meditation that help to restore balance by reconnecting the mind and body.
If you or someone you love exhibits any of the warning signs of depression, it’s important to seek help right away, especially if they’re abusing drugs or alcohol as a way to cope with and mask their symptoms. Casa Palmera offers a comprehensive alcohol and drug addiction treatment program that helps patients with depression and other mood disorders to learn how to cope with their disorder without the use of substances. Our skilled, compassionate staff will tailor a drug and alcohol treatment program to the patient’s specific needs to help the person develop the hope, knowledge, skills and support needed to manage their disorders and pursue a life in recovery.
If you know someone who is struggling with a dual diagnosis of substance abuse and depression, call Casa Palmera today and help them get the life they deserve back.