Anxiety and depression are two mental illnesses that plague a large portion of America’s population. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), over 18 percent of adults suffer from an anxiety disorder such as panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and general anxiety disorder, and nearly 15 percent suffer from major depression. In almost half of all these cases these conditions occur together, making them a one-two punch that’s hard to bear. For some people, this burden of mental distress leads them to turn to drugs or alcohol in order to cope with and numb their symptoms.
Dual diagnosis treatment for anxiety, depression and substance abuse often involves a combination of cognitive behavioral therapy and pharmaceutical drugs. In addition to — or as a replacement to — SSRIs and antidepressant medications, Casa Palmera also offers natural herbal treatment for anxiety and depression.
Herbal Remedies and Alternative Treatments for Anxiety and Depression
Many of these naturally occurring antidepressants and nutrient remedies are clinically proven to treat anxiety disorders and significantly reduce feelings of depression. They are safe alternatives to prescription antidepressants such as Zoloft and Prozac, which can cause health problems in some patients.
* St. John’s Wort — This popular herbal medicine is very effective at treating mild forms of depression, but it is not recommended for major depression or other psychological issues. It should also be taken with caution as it harmfully interacts with some prescription drugs and antidepressants.
* Ginkgo Biloba — Promotes feelings of well-being and reduces depression and anxiety by increasing oxygen to the brain.
* Passion Flower — A natural mood enhancer and sedative that helps treat feelings of depression, general anxiety and restlessness.
* Rhodiola (or Roseroot) — Treats depression in addition to relieving stress and anxiety.
* Omega-3 Fatty Acids — These healthy oils are found in salmon, walnuts, flaxseed and other healthy foods that are commonly served at dual diagnosis treatment centers. Many studies have shown that these healthy fats reduce the risk of heart disease, Alzheimer’s, manic depression and stroke and are very beneficial for those treating depression and drug addiction.
* L-Glutamine and L-Histidine — These important amino acids are involved in many of our body’s natural processes. Both have shown significant anti-depressive properties in addition to reducing stress and irritability.
* 5-HTP — Clinical studies have shown 5-HTP to be just as effective as many prescription antidepressants, making it one of the most popular natural antidepressants.
* SAMe — This naturally occurring compound is involved in the synthesis and metabolism of vitamins and is another popular natural antidepressant that some consider to be a better alternative to 5-HTP. Since SAMe affects serotonin and norepinephrine, it is especially beneficial for people with a dual diagnosis of depression and drug addiction since these neurotransmitters are affected by drug use.
Herbal Dual Diagnosis Treatment at Casa Palmera
If you have a co-occurring disorder of substance abuse and anxiety or depression, there is hope. Dual diagnosis treatment can give you a life free of addiction and the difficult symptoms of anxiety and depression. Our holistic treatment program will provide natural, clinically proven treatments in addition to traditional dual diagnosis treatment methods.
Call Casa Palmera today and ask how their dual diagnosis program can set you free.